[ckan-discuss] Histories and edit messages

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Thu Jul 4 10:54:17 BST 2013

CKAN 2.0 doesn't seem to have a space for edit messages when editing
(or deleting) a dataset or resource. While these often weren't used
sometimes it's useful to know why something's changed. I noticed in
the context of Leigh's question about deleting records for datasets
that don't exist any more. It would be very useful to be able to add a
line saying why something's been deleted, in case it looks like a
mistake, for example.

I guess this is related to the history / activity stream changes,
since activity streams don't show edit messages. As discussed in
another thread we should look at how to fold history features into the
activity streams - this is another point to bear in mind.

Meantime I think there is an argument for allowing edit messages to be
recorded even if they're not displayed anywhere for now.

Mark

--
Business development and user engagement manager
The Open Knowledge Foundation