[ckan-discuss] CKAN feature roadmap. Support VOID files and SPARQL service description

Jerven Bolleman me at jerven.eu
Wed Jul 10 14:39:21 BST 2013

Hi Tim,

This shows that not much work is needed for CKAN to support VoID files as a source for dataset descriptors.
However, to be honest it does not solve my perception of what I think is the problem in the CKAN/datahub.io approach.
And that is that a push model from providers is not sustainable on the long run.
What is needed instead is an information pull model i.e. crawling for dataset descriptors on the web and
regular updates.

I currently need to bend my infrastructure and spend time for CKAN registration for no real benefit to me.
And I need to do this for all other dataset aggregators. This does not scale, which is why the UniProt ckan
data is badly out of date and not structured the way I would like it.

To solve this problem in the long run CKAN needs to started pulling data from provided structured sources instead of
making me and everyone else push information into CKAN all the time.

Regards,
Jerven