[ckan-discuss] Version advice for getting started

Don Gourley donald.gourley at gmail.com
Sat May 11 22:55:21 BST 2013

My team would like to try out CKAN for a couple of pilot projects with an
eye to expanding to a data portal for the organization. However we are
unsure what version is best for getting started.

Since there is no Debian/Ubuntu package for 2.0 or 2.1, I assume they are
not officially released yet? Still, I hate to start with 1.8 and then have
to do a major release upgrade to 2.x in a short while. We use RHEL/CentOS
so we would have to install from source anyway. Thinking that 2.0 is more
stable than 2.1 we used these instructions to (successfully so far) to
install CKAN:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/wiki/How-to-Install-CKAN-2.0-on-CentOS-6.3
But it turns out that those instructions give us the latest version of
CKAN, 2.1 right now.

Should we be using 2.0 instead of 2.1? How can we git 2.0?
Or should we use 1.8 if we want a stable well documented release?

Thanks, Don