[ckan-discuss] Versions of CC licenses

Florian Marienfeld florian.marienfeld at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri May 17 10:20:49 BST 2013

Hi,

The links that a default CKAN presents for CC licenses refer to the Open
Definition instead of the actual license page.
e.g.
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/ckan/model/license.py#L223

Mathias Schindler raised this at GovData.de because there are two
problems https://github.com/fraunhoferfokus/GovData/issues/47:
- The Open Definition does not include the license text
- no explicit license _version_ is declared

Now Daniel you said, that CC licenses have an auto-update clause "...or
any later version..." by default. Can you or any one point me to that, I
could not find it in the legalese.

If there is no auto-update, which I suspect, then we have to force data
providers into picking an explicit version, in order to present a proper
link. This, of course, is painful in various ways.

Has any one faced this problem?

Thanks in advance, best,

FLO

--