[ckan-discuss] Versions of CC licenses

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue May 21 19:28:37 BST 2013

On 17 May 2013 10:20, Florian Marienfeld
<florian.marienfeld at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The links that a default CKAN presents for CC licenses refer to the Open
> Definition instead of the actual license page.
> e.g.
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/ckan/model/license.py#L223
>
> Mathias Schindler raised this at GovData.de because there are two
> problems https://github.com/fraunhoferfokus/GovData/issues/47:
> - The Open Definition does not include the license text
> - no explicit license _version_ is declared

You can just add licenses to the license list if you want for versions
and jurisdictions. e.g. cc-by-v3 (or even cc-by-v3-de if you wanted
germany's version).

> Now Daniel you said, that CC licenses have an auto-update clause "...or
> any later version..." by default. Can you or any one point me to that, I
> could not find it in the legalese.

Yes they do.

> If there is no auto-update, which I suspect, then we have to force data
> providers into picking an explicit version, in order to present a proper
> link. This, of course, is painful in various ways.
>
> Has any one faced this problem?

People have wanted custom licenses before, yes :-)

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.0/configuration.html?highlight=custom%20licenses#licenses-group-url