[ckan-discuss] Fwd: Re: Licensing open data

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Wed Oct 2 19:05:15 BST 2013

Il 02/10/2013 19:35, Thomas Levine ha scritto:
> First, you might be interested in my recent discovery that a lot of open
> data isn't openly licensed.
> http://thomaslevine.com/!/open-data-licensing
> <http://thomaslevine.com/%21/open-data-licensing>
>
> Second, I'm slightly curious as to why this is. I'm sure that some
> people have thought a lot about whether/how to license open data; could
> someone point me to some literature on this?

Great work, Thomas! I remember pointing out this same issue a few years
ago in the context of the (in)famous LOD cloud, whose datasets are (or
were) mostly non-open or open-without-a-license. Your analysis is much
needed and hopefully catalog maintainers will take some inspiration from it.

As for Italy, being the non-maintainer of it.ckan.net, I just want to
clarify that all the text you're reading and commenting is the
boilerplate CKAN strings, including the ODbL, and that nevertheless the
ODbL refers to the catalog and not the single datasets. That catalog is
also a zombie at the moment.

Thanks,
-steko

--