[ckan-discuss] Help! Sqlalchemy "could not connect to server: connection refused"

Sara-Jayne Terp sara.farmer at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 4 23:56:55 BST 2013

Hi all,

I'm installing CKAN on digitalocean.com, and running into a spot of bother.

When I get to "sudo ckan db init", I get the error message:

  * Sqlalchemy "could not connect to server: connection refused. Is the
    server running on host 162.243.14.80 and accepting connections on
    port 5432?"

When I change sqlalchemy.url to
postgresql://ckan_default:mypassword@localhost/ckan_default, I get
"Initialising DB: Success" but nothing but the server default page on
http://162.243.14.80/

Does anyone have any hints about what might be going wrong here?  I've
beaten my head against this issue for hours now, and I'm really hoping
that someone else has had similar issues (and fixes!) before.

Sj.

PS my CKAN setup so far:

I have Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit set up, and am working through the package
install instructions
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-package.html. I've created
database ckan_default and user ckan_default as per the instructions.

My digitalocean.com setup is:

  * IP Address: 162.243.14.80
  * Gateway: 162.243.14.1
  * Netmask: 255.255.255.0

The (possibly) relevant lines of /etc/ckan/default/production.ini are:

  * host = 0.0.0.0
  * port = 5000
  * sqlalchemy.url =
    postgresql://ckan_default:mypassword@162.243.14.80/ckan_default