[ckan-discuss] Completing migration of ckan-discuss to a Google Group

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 19 11:12:58 UTC 2014

On 19 May 2014 11:58, Adrià Mercader <adria.mercader at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If something was discussed in late 2012 I'm not sure how relevant is
> that discussion any more right now.

Sure, though it should have happened then and I'm not sure much has
changed. That said I don't want to pre-empt - i'd just like to get this
moving.

> My main objection, apart from changing something that is working, is
> the need for a Google account to interact with this communication
> channel.

Don't worry that's not actually true:

- you don't need it to read or browse (via web or otherwise)
- you can subscribe without having a google account

Go to the about page of the group you want to join, e.g.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/ckan-global-user.
Have a look at the Group email. In this example, that would be
ckan-global-user at googlegroups.com.
Append +subscribe to the address and send an email with the subject
subscribe. Here, we would send that email to
ckan-global-user+subscribe at googlegroups.com.
You'll receive a mail from the group asking you to confirm your
subscription. Just hit reply and send the email without modifying the
subject field.

Logged in with a Google account I can "Apply to join the group", if I
> log out that option disappears.
> The only requirement for posting to the mailing list is subscribing
> with a valid email address.

That's only if you want to post via web interface (a feature current
ckan-discuss does not have at all ...)

Will this mean that all current subscribers to ckan-discuss will
> automatically join the Google Group? I strongly suspect that there are

Yes.

> far more current users in ckan-discuss that on the google group so
> perhaps it makes sense to do the merge the other way around?

I agree not a huge deal either way but think there are some benefits of
google groups route here and its what we have already proposed.