[CKAN-support] [Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: FW: Monitor is UP: Registry (http://iatiregistry.org/)

Adam McGreggor notifications-support at okfn.zendesk.com
Thu Apr 17 14:06:36 UTC 2014

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

[Open Knowledge Foundation] Update: FW: Monitor is UP: Registry (http://iatiregistry.org/)

You are registered as a CC on this support request (441). Reply to this email to add a comment to the request.

Adam McGreggor, Apr 17 15:06

Matt,

Thanks for raising this, and our apologies for the window of downtime. As I think you're aware, given the capacity of our team, our support contracts are largely Monday to Friday.

The alert (at our end) went through to the on-call sysadmin, who suffered a power-cut, as well as a work:life balance; I realise this isn't ideal, but looking into a 'proper' on-call rota is something I'm conscious of: particularly if there's a business need from clients for increased support hours.

Once the power came back, a fix was deployed.

The problem was due to permissions problems on the ckan log file, that were most likely introduced by human intervention; where the file was opening as a privileged user but closed by an unprivileged user, altering the permissions, and stopping the daemon from being able to write to the logfile. This would have gone un-noticed until an error occurred.

Resetting the permissions on the logfile resurrected the site.

To reduce the chances of this happening again, we'll (i) remind our team about this, and (ii) investigate routine monitoring of the ownership/permissions on the log files.

Out of interest, and if the price was right, would extended support hours be something that Development Initiatives might be interested in?

Apologies for the delayed full reply -- the last three days I've been on-site with poor wifi and mediocre phone signal coverage.

Best wishes,

Adam

Matt Bartlett, Apr 14 12:55

Hi Adam

Just wanted to raise this with you (we also had Pingdom alerts showing that
the Registry was down for about 7 hours yesterday) – it would be helpful to
know the background to why this happened and anything that can be done to
prevent it happening again?

Thanks a lot

Matt

*Matt Bartlett *I *aidinfo Programme Coordinator*

Development Initiatives, North Quay House, Quay Side, Temple Back, Bristol,
BS1 6FL, UK

Switchboard:  +44 (0) 1179 272 505  I  Skype:  matt.devinit.org  I
Email: *matt.bartlett at devinit.org
<firstname.secondname at devinit.org>*

Web:  www.devinit.org

Newsletter sign up *here <http://dotsurvey.me/ac1e6i75-099ws7f>*

[image: Untitled2] <http://www.devinit.org/>

*Development Initiatives is committed to ending poverty by 2030*

 [image: icona] <https://twitter.com/devinitorg>    [image:
iconb]<https://www.facebook.com/Development.Initiatives>

Development Initiatives is the trading name of DI International Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales No. 05802543.  Development Initiatives
Poverty Research is the not-for-profit partner of DI International Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales No. 06368740. Registered office: North Quay
House, Quay Side, Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL, UK.

DISCLAIMER: This email and any attachments are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is
addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Development Initiatives.  If you
have received this email in error, please delete it and notify the sender.