[ckan4rdm] Data curation with CKAN

Joss Winn jwinn at lincoln.ac.uk
Wed Apr 24 09:35:54 UTC 2013

On 24/04/2013 09:58, "Ross Jones" <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

>Beyond that I don't yet have a large amount of detail in how it should
>be implemented or exactly what is required, which I think this could be
>the perfect time to get an idea of how everybody thinks curation should,
>or could, work.  Perhaps a new mail thread just to discuss what people
>would like from data curation?
>
>I should point out that I'm not a researcher, I'm just extremely
>interested
>in the problems that researchers encounter in managing data and like
>solving problems.

:-)

Ross, you may already be aware of OAIS, an international standard for
digital archives
(http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0m2.pdf)

It's a high-level functional model, so it doesn't make recommendations for
exactly how organisations meet the spec, but rather it details a model for
achieving the objectives of the specification, which are the long-term
preservation and access to digital objects.

I wouldn't suggest that CKAN aims to be 'OAIS compliant' - the standard is
more about organisations being compliant through the development of
processes policy and technologies, but it might be a useful reference for
developing data curation features in CKAN.

I've blogged about OAIS here. To be honest, I've not returned to the idea
since, but I still think it's a good place to start and gives us all
something to bounce off of.

https://orbital.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2012/02/10/orbital-and-the-oais-referen
ce-model/

You might find the OAIS user stories that the MathArc project produced
useful:

http://orbital.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/files/2012/02/OAISFunctionCards.doc

The Lavoie paper and other references in my last paragraph of the blog
post are a good place to learn more about the standard, before reading the
actual document. It can be a bit overwhelmingŠ

I'm really pleased this discussion is taking off. I'm just starting to
write my conference paper on CKAN4RDM and this will help.

Cheers
Joss