[datacatalogs] Fwd: Potential addition to http://datacatalogs.org

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Feb 10 13:21:59 UTC 2012

On 10 February 2012 11:42, Laura Newman <laura.newman at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi Data Catalogs team,
>
> [@Alex, moving your query on-list - if you sign up at
> post too :)]
>
> Following on from our previous discussion:
>
> If the Water and Environmental Hub were to add 'share' to the terms of
> license for their metadata, would we be able to add them to the data
> catalog? For full details of their project, see:
> http://www.waterenvironmentalhub.com
>
> The new terms of service would read:
>
> By posting and sharing content with WEHUB, the user retains copyright of
> the original content. You agree to grant WEHUB a perpetual, royalty-free,
> nonexclusive, irrevocable license to use, modify, reproduce, adapt, edit,
> perform analysis on, publish, display, share and distribute the submitted
> content. WEHUB is not obligated to treat such content as confidential or
> proprietary)

This is a great move! I'm afraid don't know about exact legal wording, and
neither do most people. I would encourage WEHUB to go further and simply
offer the content under a well-known open license suitable for data, such
as: http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/

For instance, in the UK we have the 'database right' aside from the
copyright, which may discourage interesting uses of the catalogue records
in bulk. There are similar legal variations and different interpretations
of "share" everywhere.
David