[datacatalogs] Proposal: migrating datacatalogs.org to a new simpler setup

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Fri May 9 16:38:04 UTC 2014

The trouble with using Google Spreadsheets as the master data source is that its versioning is absolutely terrible.

The current datacatalogs.org has good versioning, as would the CSV in git proposal.

For me, the two criteria that need to be balanced are: easy contribution and good edit histories. The criteria are easily met when editing happens inside the app, because you can control everything. When you move the editing out of the app into git or Google Docs you lose one or the other. I suppose if GitHub supported spreadsheets editing then this wouldn’t be a problem. A YAML file would be somewhat easier to edit in git than a CSV file, but it would be more prone to corruption if a maintainer makes a bad edit, which can break the entire site.

James