[datacatalogs] Proposal: migrating datacatalogs.org to a new simpler setup

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 9 16:51:26 UTC 2014

On 9 May 2014 17:38, James McKinney <james at opennorth.ca> wrote:

> The trouble with using Google Spreadsheets as the master data source is
> that its versioning is absolutely terrible.
>
> The current datacatalogs.org has good versioning, as would the CSV in git
> proposal.
>
> For me, the two criteria that need to be balanced are: easy contribution
> and good edit histories. The criteria are easily met when editing happens
> inside the app, because you can control everything. When you move the
> editing out of the app into git or Google Docs you lose one or the other. I
> suppose if GitHub supported spreadsheets editing then this wouldn’t be a
> problem. A YAML file would be somewhat easier to edit in git than a CSV
> file, but it would be more prone to corruption if a maintainer makes a bad
> edit, which can break the entire site.

Its a tough balance to strike. My feeling could be a google form or similar
but authoratative data in a git-managed csv - but you then need editors who
are git savvy.

Rufus

PS: re csv editing in github i note this should be data deck / data
explorer soon https://github.com/okfn/dataexplorer/issues/155 ...

--

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.