[ddj] A classic book proposal

Daniela Kraus daniela.kraus at fjum-wien.at
Sat Nov 19 21:59:43 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

also just joined the list, I'm managing a new journalism training institution in Vienna, one of our first workshops was on ddj (always glad to get tips on people who are really good in teaching ddj).

For now, I just wanted to add to Plácido's link another one to great Phil Meyer's talk, held at our "Hedy Lamarr Lectures" in Vienna recently,
http://nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article-online-exclusive/100044/Precision-Journalism-and-Narrative-Journalism-Toward-a-Unified-Field-Theory.aspx

I noticed (at least here in the German speaking world) that many of those fit with the ddj tools are not too familiar with traditional skills – and the other way round. How to combine "precision" and "narration" in Phil Meyer's sense (and in terms of individuals and teams) seems a crucial question to me.

I don't know what your experiences are, but from my point of view, knowledge on methods in social sciences as well as  a critical assessment of data sources – and the question of how to tell the story! - should be added to every training, be it Excel, Access, Google Tools or …

Daniela

daniela kraus, PhD
managing director
+43 6991 489 48 48

fjum_forum for journalism and media vienna
karl farkas gasse 18
1030 vienna
austria
+43 1 997 27 96