[ddj] Call for contributions: OpenSpending Blog

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Fri Oct 28 13:05:08 UTC 2011

Hi All, [semi cross-posted with OpenSpending list]

The long awaited OpenSpending Blog has finally been launched! It can be
found at http://blog.openspending.org.

We will be using the blog to update on developments to the platform,
community, tips & tricks for data wrangling and 'behind the news' stories
about how journalists extract stories out of the spending data.

Our first post is about feedback we received at the Global Investigative
Journalism Conference from journalists wanting to use the platform to assist
their stories:

http://blog.openspending.org/2011/10/27/thoughts-from-the-global-investigative-journalism-conference/

*Writer's corner - get tapping!: *

*Are you a journalist? (Flexible definition of journalism applies here
encompassing all citizen-journalists and armchair auditors!) *
*
*
*Have you ever worked on a project where you had to deal with financial data
(particularly spending or budget)? What raw-materials (i.e. data) were you
given to work with (i.e. was it a leak in messy, unstructured format, were
there glaring gaps and omissions, did someone hand you a stack of paper to
fulfil some transparency criteria and send you on your merry way to leaf
through it? What information did you have to add to the mix / additional
research did you have to do in order to get the conclusions you needed? What
lessons did you learn for next time?*
*
*
*We would be very interested to hear your story and for you to share your
wisdom. If you are interested in drafting a short piece for the 'behind the
news' section of the blog, please just drop me an email by responding to
this email!
**
*
All the best,