[ddj] Fwd: [sunlightlabs] Superfastmatch

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Sep 13 16:21:19 UTC 2011

Thought this might be of interest!

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Some of you may have already seen the blog post on the Sunlight Labs
site ( http://sunlightlabs.com/blog/2011/announcing-superfastmatch/ )
-- if you have, apologies for the repetition! But I wanted to be sure
that the folks on this list were aware of Superfastmatch, a new piece
of software developed by the Media Standards Trust that Sunlight has
helped to make open source.
The blog post does a decent job of explaining what the project is
about.  In a nutshell, SFM provides a highly efficient means to find
instances of overlapping text between documents on a large scale.  We
think it's going to be an important tool as we work to quantify the
spread of ideas and influence through government.  But it's easy to
imagine other potential uses.
There's still plenty of work to be done in making SFM more accessible
to developers and feature-complete (patches are welcome!).  But the
project is ready to provide useful results right now.  I hope you'll
give it a spin:

https://github.com/mediastandardstrust/superfastmatch

Tom