[ddj] self-education python study group anyone?

Mirko Lorenz mirko.lorenz at dw-world.de
Thu Sep 22 14:37:42 UTC 2011

Same here: Linda, Cosmin and me worked on a number of easy tutorials to get
data into story (Needlebase, Refine, Google Fusion, Elastic Lists), but are
novices with Python.
So, count me in (I will tell my colleagues that there will be no free
evenings from November to December in a minute...)

Cheers,
Mirko

2011/9/22 Lorenz Matzat <matzat at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> since everyone here seems to be into learning about databases, I wonder
> if somebody is interested in learning Python in a self-organized way, too?
>
> What is the plan? We meet once a week online in the evening to study
> together.
>
> The Peer-to-Peer-University platform will be used for self-education
> Python course starting on November 1st, 2011.
>
> The course is self-organized and thus free. But its very important you
> are motivated to learn together with others and be an engaging member of
> the group.
>
> Every week we decide on how much exercices out of the course book
> "Learning Python the hard way"  we are going to work on the coming week.
> ( http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ The html-version of the book is for
> free; pdf/ePub avaible for 3 USD.)
>
> Sign-up - press “Participate” on the left of the screen.
>
> http://p2pu.org/en/groups/python-for-journalists-20112012/content/start-1st-of-november/
>
> Read this about Why Journalists Should Learn Computer Programming
>
> http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2010/06/why-journalists-should-learn-computer-programming153.html
>
> This is about how to install Python on your computer.
> http://diveintopython.org/installing_python/
>
> Best,
>
> Lorenz

vG, Mirko Lorenz