[ddj] self-education python study group anyone?

Momoko Price momoko at buzzdata.com
Thu Sep 22 18:04:05 UTC 2011

Hi Lorenz,
Just FYI, I am working on a starter curriculum for non-programming
journalists with a really great Toronto-based data-hacker friend and
the general  beginner syllabus he came up with was this:

- send instructions on how to install Python for
various OSes before workshop.
- intro to python syntax
basic data types: primitives, tuples, lists, dictionaries
- fetching a JSON file via HTTP
- working with JSON (much nicer than CSV if you can get it)
- storing data in a SQLite database
- querying the database

By all means, feel free flush this out into a program if you think
it's a sensible, journalism-appropriate direction to take,
exercise-wise ...