[ddj] Mapping open gov data (and dangerous food) in the Czech Republic

Clément Renaud clement.renaud at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:38:56 UTC 2012

Hi

Very interesting, thanks for sharing !

There was another project on the same topic recently here in China, "China
Survival Guide" an iPhone app that has been used to track food safety and
scandals
https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/zhong-guo-qiu-sheng-shou-ce/id527824265?mt=8

It enables user to review food products and brands to disclose info about
specific topics  : nutrition, safety, etc. It was developed by  Kingsoft
Internet Security Software helped by a bunch of Chinese netizens. The app
also use Sina Weibo (chinese Twitter equivalent) to gather netizens
feedbacks from a dedicated hashtag and channel about food safety.

Surprisingly it was well-received by the Chinese government. Guess they
need this kind of things to balance their complete absence on food safety
regulation and enforcement. This is kind of "open data" state-citizens
compromise :)

The app is a complete success with 200.000 downloads the first week - data
by very official China Daily
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-05/31/content_15430509.htm

Some guys also did maps about food scandals in China over last years - from
their own collected archives i think : http://www.zccw.info/

Anyway that is a global issue and it is very cool to see guys like you
taking care of what governments mostly fails to achieve.
Just keep on the great job :)

Cheers
_Clément

2012/12/14 Josh Boissevain <josh.boissevain at tol.org>

> Hi everyone,
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say I recently wrote
> about my colleague;s and my experience regarding the sometimes
> not-so-usefulness of open government data and ways in which civil society
> can participate to improve how governments better package their data for
> public use.  I would love to hear any feedback (positive or negative) about
> the project.
>

> http://netprophet.tol.org/2012/12/14/mapping-czech-open-data-and-dangerous-food/
>
>  Cheers,
> Josh
>
> --
> Josh Boissevain
> Research Associate / Social Media Editor
>
> Transitions (TOL)  |  www.tol.org  | @TransitionsMag
> Net Prophet  |  www.netprophet.tol.org  | @NetProphetTOL
> Baranova 33, 130 00 Praha 3
> Czech Republic