[ddj] Feowl, a data-driven crowdsourcing project, needs your support

Nicolas Kayser-Bril n.kayserbril at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:40:02 UTC 2012

Dear listers,

This is a shameless promotion for our latest datajournalistic project, *
Feowl*, which we've presented at the Newschallenge and which you can
support here<http://newschallenge.tumblr.com/post/19240837131/feowl-networked-data-collection-power-cuts>
!

The idea is to produce very high-grade data about power cuts in Douala,
Cameroon, using SMS reports. Unlike Ushahidi, which collects testimonies,
we aim at producing accurate data by systematically asking users for input
(e.g. a daily SMS or web chat asking "did you get your power cut today?")
to output data serious enough to keep the local power utility in check.

The infographics below explains the system. We would highly value any
feedback about the project!

Best wishes

Nicolas Kayser-Bril
--