[ddj] Spain: datasets to release

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Mon May 7 06:57:57 UTC 2012

Hola, Mar:

Felicitaciones on your Open Data Day.  While I am sure you will receive
many suggestions about what data sets you should try to acquire, I would
also encourage you to always ask for (demand?) a description of the
process, methods and definitions used to create the data sets.  Each of
these three are directly tied to the validity of the data, and their
importance will grow over time.  Laws change.  Definitions of the variables
will change.  The power and responsibility to enter and edit the data will
change.  I think it is our responsibility to be alert to those changes and
make them known to the citizens.

I will be in Basque country the end of September.  It would be great to
meet you and/or your group to learn of your progress.  I do a lot of work
with journalists in Latin American, so it would be fun to compare and
contrast your efforts.

Saludos,
Tom Johnson
Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM, María del Mar cabra valero <
marcabravalero at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello from Spain!
>
> Tomorrow is the Open Data Day in the Basque country (region of the north
> of Spain) and I'm part of a group of experts<https://sites.google.com/site/workgroupscicd/home/activistas-de-la-transparencia-y-periodistas>that will be meeting to come up with a list of datasets that the government
> (at a central or regional level) should release for transparency and
> accountability. As you may know, Spain is the only big country of the EU
> without an FOI (but we will have one by the end of the year), so this
> initiative is really important.
>
> I would love to hear your thoughts on datasets you think we should put on
> the list, based on your experience... or imagination! :)
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Mar

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --   Santa Fe, NM
USA<http://www.analyticjournalism.com/>
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
Twitter: jtjohnson
http://www.jtjohnson.com                  tom at jtjohnson.com