[ddj] New Zealand List Followers

nate thayer thayernate0007 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 23:41:29 UTC 2012

Hi Innes:

I am from the US (although lived in Asia for 25 years) but I am working on
a story that involves New Zealand. It is exactly what good data journalism
works for: The use of NZ based paper front companies to hide real ownership
for the international transport of corrupt money arms drugs etc. Their are
hundreds of fake companies registered to a single Aukland address to ship
products rent airplanes, set up fake companies registered in other
countries for bank transfers etc. SP Trading is its name and it briefly hit
the news in December 2010 when an arms shipment was intercepted from North
Korea to Iran in Bangkok. I am trying to track real ownership. If you or
anyone else knows how to best mine company and bank records to trace the
very complicated web I would love to know.

Best

Nate Thayer