[ddj] Fwd: Join our News Editor team!

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Fri Aug 16 13:03:54 UTC 2013

Hi all,

OpenSpending is a project to help citizens and journalists to publish,
investigate and visualize public finances. We are looking to set up a News
Editor team to help us track stories in the media, and are now looking for
applicants! For data journalists this will be an opportunity to scratch the
surface of for example the latest story on the EU budget by examining the
numbers behind.

Take a look at the full post below or head over to our our
blog<http://blog.openspending.org/2013/08/16/join-the-news-editor-team-at-openspending/>,
and do not hesitate to let us know, if you have questions. Looking forward
to hear from you!

Every day, government spending makes headlines. At OpenSpending, we want to
help the public put the numbers in perspective by showing how the news
relates to spending data. We need News Editors to connect the pieces.

As a News Editor, you will find and report on the connections between
stories in the media and the world of spending data. You will help us find
stories about public finances such as Detroit’s
bankruptcy<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-18/detroit-becomes-biggest-u-s-city-to-file-for-bankruptcy.html>
and
look for the data and stories behind the numbers.

OpenSpending News Editors will engage the public through social media and
create resources to help others use data to investigate spending.
Responsibilities include

   -

   Track news about spending
   -

      Collect and share news stories about spending and budgets.
      -

      Find the spending data behind the news stories and write about it on
      our blog.
      -

   Social media
   -

      Publish the stories to our Facebook
page<https://www.facebook.com/OpenSpending>
       and Twitter feed <https://twitter.com/openspending>.
      -

      Explore new social media outlets (e.g. Tumblr).
      -

   Resources for journalists
   -

      Write the resources that will help the OpenSpending community and
      journalists to uncover the next taxation story or the story behind the EU
      budget <http://openspending.org/resources/eu/index.html>.
      - Time commitment: 5-10 hours per month.
   - When to start: You can start immediately.

You can also learn more about which tasks you will be doing at the Trello
board for the News
Team<https://trello.com/b/7E5enK5J/openspending-news-and-website-team>.
Apply by filling in the form
here<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/forms/d/1jL4lGrC_z577r7iQLcJw_PYzDCNzKrPh-QPPl2q4QMM/viewform>.
We will respond to applications by August 23rd.

Best,
Anders

--
*