[ddj] Computer recommendations

Michael Hörz hoerz at michael-hoerz.de
Thu Aug 22 19:43:33 UTC 2013

Hi Carolyn,

if you want a highly portable laptop, the "Ultrabooks" by a number of manufacturers are a pretty good choice (Intel requires the manufacturers to fulfil certain requirements in order to call them Ultrabook, such as very low weight, long battery life, very thin, a SSD or a hybrid of SSD and standard hard drive). A number of models also has a decent performance.

The most of them are around with 13 inch displays, but some also have 14 or 15 inch displays. This wikipedia article acutally shows the past and presently available models: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook (a bit of info overload, I have to admit).

But if you constantly need high CPU power, you might choose a less portable model. But you can choose from loads of manufacturers and models. A number of people sticks to Lenovo (formerly IBM), HP Compaq or Dell for long-term quality and support reasons.

Michael