[ddj] Computer recommendations

Randall Wright rw26 at lrw.net
Thu Aug 22 22:40:40 UTC 2013

I have a mac laptop (work supplied) that boots windows and linux as well
as mac all via vmware. It is very useful as I often get tasked with
website front end work which means I need to look at my work on internet
explorer and safari as well as firefox, opera and the like. The mac
comes with the BSD command line tools like ssh that are a pain to set up
under windows. But I prefer to work in linux.
I use R, perl, php,. python, libreoffice, msql and mongo db as well as
various dbm implementations.

Actually, I can run all three operating systems at the same time in
different windows on virtual desktops in linux, but memory can get
scarce and Windows get even more unstable than it usually is. And,
vmware multiple operating systems seem to run considerably slower than
booting into a single os.

Randy