[ddj] A question about Google Refine

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Thu Feb 7 13:59:43 UTC 2013

Damien,

Did you try to establish a custom facet or custom filter in refine? You
should then be able to delete matching or non matching lines... (this
should _not_ remove columns)

Michael

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 02:29:41PM +0100, Damien Brunon wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm Damien, I work for @jplusplus_ and I need some help about Google Refine.
>
> I'm trying to work on a database about health structures in France that are
> dedicated to autist people.
>
> I downloaded a database with every structures that work with mentally
> handicapped people, I succeded in taking out those who are not linked with
> autist people but I still got a problem.
>
> The thing is, some structures work with autist but with other mentally
> handicapped people. So in the table you got:
>
> structure_activity1 ; structure_clients_type1 ; number_of_beds1 ;
> structure_activity2 ; structure_clients_type2 ; number_of_beds2 etc.
>
> In exemple that makes:
>
> *Line 1) General education / Intellectual deficient people */ 6
> *;*Professional education / autists / 24
> *;* General education / autists / 20
> Line 2) Professional education / autists / 12 *;* *Professional education /
> Intelletual deficient people / 20*
> Line 3) General Education / autists / 10 ; Professional education /
> autistes / 24 ; *General Education / Intelletual deficient people / 8*
>
> What I want to do with Google Refine is delete every cell that doesn't
> concern autism (like the ones underligned) and at the end just have the
> informations about autists with the number of places.
>
> Until  then I didn't succed because every time I try to delete the things
> I  don't want using "facet", I delete the whole column (wich deletes also
> things I want to keep).
>
> One solution would be to concatenate all the structure_clients_type cols
> into a new column, but how could I then extract the number of beds that
> only concern autism?
>
> So if you can help me that would be great!
>
> --
> Damien Brunon
> damien.brunon at gmail.com
> @silveroux

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr