[ddj] Presentation…

Pierre-Carl Langlais pierrecarl.langlais at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:04:22 UTC 2013

> Hi Pierre,
>
> Welcome to the list and thank you for introducing yourself. I'd be
> very keen to know more about the visualisations you are working on
> about data journalism communities. Can you share some links?
>
> Best,
>
> Liliana

Hi,

The visualizations are likely to get published whenever the website of
the project will be ready (by the end of April or sometimes before).

Nevertheless, here comes some additional information.

I am using the following tools:
*Exhibit for a user-friendly database of people, associations and
organisations.
*Infovis, for network-based visualizations of professional and
associative affiliations (already done something through
ForceDirected: I can send it as a a preview…)
*Google Maps with some timeline for a chronological representation of
datajournalism meetings and conferences.

I would also like to represent the dissemination of tools and apps.
For instance, in France, Highchart seems to have been first introduced
by OWNI in 2010; it is now frequently used in data projects. I don’t
know yet what would be the better way to figure that.

The purpose of theses visualizations is twofold: they are interesting
per se and they allow me to have an “insider” view of datajournalism
practices.

I am actually co-writing a research article on the datajournalism
handbook, to be published in the French journal “Sur le journalisme”
by 2d semester of this year: “From the valorization of data to the
exposure of know-hows. Datajournalism through the Datajournalism
Handbook” — the title sounds better in French ;)

> Hi,
>
> Always nice to have a fellow Wikipedian in the list :)
>
> /Robin Linderborg

Hi,

Fine to see that the Wikipedian infiltration plan is making progress.
Someday we'll run the world…

PCL