[ddj] Job Opening: Digital Projects Officer, Transparency International Georgia

Mathias Huter mathias at transparency.ge
Wed Jul 17 10:23:30 UTC 2013

You have a background in programming and really care about open data,
e-governance, policy issues and tools that allow the public to hold
governments accountable? You want to live in a really cool place with
friendly and interesting people, amazing landscapes, good food and
delicious wine, mind-blowing culture and history, that is super safe,
offers a good standard of living but is also off the beaten track? While
working on stuff that is interesting and makes a difference? So come work
with us at Transparency International (TI)
Georgia<http://transparency.ge/en>(the one near Azerbaijan and Armenia
not the one near Alabama).

About us

We are part of the global Transparency
International<http://transparency.org>anti-corruption movement. Our
efforts are focused on promoting good
governance and accountability in Georgia. We are looking for a (Senior)
Digital Projects Officer to coordinate and improve TI Georgia’s technology
usage, and to enhance TI Georgia’s open-government and open-data advocacy
efforts.

TI Georgia’s current technology projects <http://github.com/tigeorgia>include

   -

   A Georgian adaptation of the FixMyStreet concept<http://www.chemikucha.ge/>,
   through which residents of Tbilisi have already reported more than 2,500
   problems on their streets, and many have of them have been fixed. We are
   currently relaunching the site and are expanding to other cities.
   -

   Various types of data scraping, including
   -

      Tendermonitor.ge <http://tendermonitor.ge>, a website that allows the
      public to search and analyze all government contracting;
      -

      The development and maintenance of a fully searchable copy of the
      company registry <http://corpsearch.tigeorgia.webfactional.com/>;
      -

      Asset and income
declarations<http://transparency.ge/en/blog/income-declarations-scrape>of
Georgian politicians and public officials.
      -

   MyParliament.ge <http://chemiparlamenti.ge/>, a site allowing people to
   learn more about their MPs, ask them questions and comment on draft laws
   that also comes with SMS alerts on legislative updates in the parliament.

TI Georgia works to solidify and expand on Georgia’s significant
anti-corruption successes, we are at the forefront of using technology to
promote enhanced governmental transparency and accountability, both in
Georgia and among anti-corruption and good governance organizations
worldwide.

TI Georgia is a think-and-do-tank that works on a broad range of good
governance and human rights issues, including media freedom, elections and
party financing, judicial independence, legal aid, corruption
investigations, state capture, procurement and the protection of peoples’
property rights. We do in-depth research reports, blogs, some investigative
work, advocacy, free legal consultations and tech projects. We contribute
to and monitor ongoing democratic reforms and collaborate with the Georgian
Government on open government issues within the context of Georgia’s Open
Government Partnership Action Plan. All work TI Georgia does is bi-lingual
– Georgian and English, no Georgian or Russian skills are required.

Georgia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(country)> is a vibrant and
rapidly changing country in the South Caucasus. Since the Rose Revolution
of 2003, the country has seen successful reforms against corruption and
economic development. In October 2012, Georgia saw its first democratic
change of power which was hailed as a new model for the post-Soviet region.

Responsibilities:

   -

   Work with all TI Georgia staff members to improve organizational
   technology usage in all appropriate areas of TI Georgia’s work.
   -

   Lead a small team of internal and external developers in designing and
   implementing innovative software solutions to meet the organization’s needs.
   -

   Plan and execute TI Georgia’s open-data and open-government advocacy
   efforts, both within Georgia and as part of the broader TI movement.
   -

   Seek out and discover cutting-edge technologies which can help TI
   Georgia perform its work better or faster, or can enhance the
   organization’s outreach capabilities.

Qualifications for successful candidates:

   -

   Have a demonstrated passion for using technology to address governance
   and democracy issues.
   -

   Have education or significant experience working with web technologies.
   -

   Have education or significant experience with law, public policy, or
   political science.
   -

   Enjoy learning new technology tools, and be able to do so rapidly and
   independently.
   -

   Strong command of written and spoken English.
   -

   The willingness and desire to relocate for a minimum of one to two years
   to Georgia.
   -

   Experience in managing and implementing web-projects.
   -

   The ability and interest to work in a multicultural environment.

Application requirements:

Submit the following to jobs at transparency.ge with the subject line “Digital
Projects Officer application”:

   1.

   A one-page statement of interest and relevant experience, in English
   2.

   Your resume (please highlight all programming language you are familiar
   with)

The deadline for application is August 4rd, 2013. However, applications
will be evaluated on a rolling basis, so apply early!

To learn more about TI Georgia and the work we do, please visit
http://transparency.ge/en.

TI Georgia is an equal opportunities employer. Georgia has a visa free
regime that allows citizens of the US, the EU and many other countries to
work and live here without any permits required. Yes, no visa. As we said,
it’s a cool country.

 <http://www.facebook.com/TransparencyInternationalGeorgia>