[ddj] Hacks/Hackers Media Party 2013 in Buenos Aires!

Mariano Blejman marianet at he.net
Thu Jul 11 11:53:05 UTC 2013

Hi there...

As some of you know, for the second consecutive year, we will be organizing
in Buenos Aires the three-day Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires *Media Party* that
will bring together journalists, software programmers and designers from
three continents to work together towards the future of the media. The
event will be in August 29-31, 2013, at the City of Buenos Aires, Argentina
and it is so far the biggest mediathon in latin america and the biggest
hacks hackers event ever. So if you have plans for Latin america, please
come! http://mediaparty.info

In this second edition of the Media Party, we hope for increased exposure,
international attendance and workshop offerings. Among attendees will be
representatives of multidisciplinary teams from The New York Times, Boston
Globe and Zeit Online, among others; innovation winners from the Knight
Foundation and from the African News Innovation Challenge; Knight Fellows
from the International Center For Journalists (ICFJ); and regional editors.
Among international guests are Jacqui Maher and Brian Abelson (New York
Times), Annabel Church (Zeit Online), Stijn Debrouwere (The Guardian),
Friedrich Lindenberg (Spiegel Online), Sonya Song (Boston Globe), Mike
Tigas (Propublica), Noah Veltman (BBC), Manuel Aristarán (La Nación),
Justin Arenstein (AMI), Miguel Paz (Poderopedia), Mariana Santos (La Nación
Costa Rica, former The Guardian), Gustavo Faleiros (Infoamazonia), and
Douglas Arellanes (Sourcefabric). But we expect to confirm more.

The Media Party is free (as a beer and as open) and organized by
Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires (HHBA), the volunteer local chapter of a global
network that brings together journalists and programmers. The Buenos Aires
chapter has about 1,960 members and more than 200 already submitted their
presence. Last year, the Media Party brought together 700 people over three
days, positioning the event as the largest of its kind ever to be held in
Latin America. We featured experts from interactive teams at The New York
Times, The Guardian, Propublica, and leaders from Ushahidi, Zeega, Overview
and other projects. We offered twenty workshops, and a closing hackathon
saw work on ten collaborative projects.

This year’s event will follow a similar structure. During the first two
days, participants will attend talks led by international experts in the
mornings, to learn about tools and work being done in the field. The
afternoons will feature workshops on data journalism, citizen journalism,
utility news, and open data applications. Participants can also visit the
Media Fair to learn about regional initiatives and meet project creators.
On the last day, August 31, a large Hackathon will close the event, working
to develop innovative proposals generated within the community.

The media party is supported by Knight Mozilla Open News, the International
Center For Journalists, Mozilla Foundation and the World Bank Institute,
among others. In the coming days, we will announce additional attendees and
the media organizations that will provide support for the event.

--
-
Mariano Blejman - Knight International Journalism Fellow
mblejman at knight.icfj.org
http://www.icfj.org/our-work/argentina-launch-innovation-challenge-promote-development-digital-media-latin-america
Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires
marianet at he.net