[ddj] Visualising the 'incidents' in Australian migrant detention centres

Clare Blumer clare.blumer at theglobalmail.org
Thu Jun 13 02:19:31 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Here's a data project from *The Global Mail*'s data team in Sydney,
Australia.
*http://www.theglobalmail.org/blog/day-by-day-in-detention/635/* for
context.
*http://behindthewire.theglobalmail.org/* for the 'Behind the Wire' viz.

The Australian government imprisons asylum seekers or migrants who
have arrived by boat in detention centres for long periods of time. The
data team has done a fine job of focusing the audience on the stark reality
of the 'incidents' that happen behind the wire at these facilities. We're
very proud of the project and invite you to participate in 'flagging'
incidents, 'adopting' incidents and spreading the word worldwide of the
ongoing humanitarian crisis of refugee detention in Australia.

*http://behindthewire.theglobalmail.org/*

We welcome feedback of any kind on our site, or please email me directly if
you prefer.

*Clare Blumer*
Journalist
*W*  +61 2 8203 8891   *M*  +61 438 446 843   *F*  +61 2 8203 4355
clare.blumer at theglobalmail.org
*@clareblumer*<https://twitter.com/#!/@clareblumer>
<http://www.theglobalmail.org/>

clare.blumer at theglobalmail.org
*@clareblumer*<https://twitter.com/#!/@clareblumer>
 <http://www.theglobalmail.org>
 It’s likely we intended you to receive this email. But we’re only human
and we do make mistakes. So if you think this email wasn’t intended for
you, note the content is private and confidential. This means you can’t
copy, distribute or otherwise use this email in any way whatsoever. In
fact, you really should delete and/or destroy it along with any copies
you’ve made. Digital Global Mail Limited (publisher of *The Global Mail*)
doesn’t accept liability for any virus transmitted via this email. Any
views or opinions expressed are those of the author alone. And finally, to
keep the earth a happier place, think twice before hitting the print button
and join us in cyberspace at www.theglobalmail.org