[ddj] A couple of "Getting Started" data journalism tutorials

Tony.Hirst Tony.Hirst at open.ac.uk
Mon May 13 11:26:25 UTC 2013

Over the last week or so, I've posted a couple of "Getting Started" style tutorials to the School Of Data blog:

Hunting for Data – Learning How to Read and Write Web Addresses, aka URLs
Sometimes it makes sense to go back to basics.. A quick overview of how URLs are constructed and how we can use what we know about the structure of a URL to help us search the web in a focussed way.
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/05/09/hunting-for-data-learning-how-to-read-and-write-web-addresses-aka-urls/

Asking Questions of Data – Some Simple One-Liners
An introduction to using the SQL database query language. If you can cope with writing advanced search queries into a web search engine, you can cope with these. The data setting relates to candidate lists for a local election. Can we see how many candidates each party fielded, or which electoral divisions they *didn't* field candidates in? Yes we can - and often with a simple one-liner...
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/05/13/asking-questions-of-data-some-simple-one-liners/

tony
Tony Hirst
Personal blog: blog.ouseful.info