[ddj] [Q] Difference between CAR and DJ

Mehdi GUIRAUD mehdi.guiraud at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:17:26 UTC 2013

Hello Whisky,

Very interesting question. I have two different use case that helps me to
answer to your question.
On the basis of the very same data coming from state, we can now have
access to budget of 36 000+ cities in France going back to 2007. For each
cities we have 4 values (data.gouv.fr). We would say great. But on th
website on the interior minister we can have Many, many more data (right
side dropdowns <http://www.collectivites-locales.gouv.fr/>) with even the
debt of the cities with the help some massive scraping and coding.

On the Data Driven Journalism I would go into this data and try to ask why
in some cities the debt might be up to 3+ times the budget of the city and
make focus on some cities.
Levallois-Perret<http://alize2.finances.gouv.fr/communes/eneuro/tableau.php?icom=044&dep=092&type=BPS&param=0&exercice=2011>(
Budget : 209 660 €, debt : 728 134 € in 2011). Try this with your own
bank :)

On the Computer Assisted Reporting, It could be maybe a web app where every
one could see those budget and combine with the election data, the
internaut/reader  would let each citizen see if their city is most likely
to be well organized by a left party or a conservative party. I would have
to go into the scraping part... just use what the city gives us.

So to be short, I think DDJ is using data as the source/motive of the
narative and CAR is organizing the data so the reader creates is own
narrative that relates to his life.  The last one is the "trendiest" one
and it can build a conversation and lead to more reporting if some citizen
has more to say. The first one can be less time consuming and is more
classical but reveals more things than just the facts.

Thank you for this very interesting question.

Mehdi Guiraud
Journaliste multimédia, EMI-CFD
t. @mguiraud
m. 06 95 92 51 33