[ddj] [Q] Difference between CAR and DJ

mirko.lorenz at gmail.com mirko.lorenz at gmail.com
Sun May 19 17:53:34 UTC 2013

Hi there,
actually, not sure whether there is such a huge difference between CAR and
DDJ. Maybe one was the practice for the last twenty years and now grows
into the other one as a lot of resources have changed.

One way how the term "data-driven journalism" came into use: I had read an
article by Zach Beauvais (who was then in Open/Linked Data) titled
"Journalism Needs Data in the 21st Century" (
http://readwrite.com/2009/08/04/journalism_needs_data_in_21st_century). At
the time we organized a round-table with the European Journalism Centre, a
kind of first time meeting for an new type, new group of data journalists
in Amsterdam and where lucky because many speakers came, from Guardian,
NYT, Times London, etc. (video here: https://vimeo.com/14800572). That was
August 2010. Since then #ddj or data-driven journalism kind of sticks. But
we would be hard pressed to come up with an academic justification or
clarification.

Partially the term "data-driven journalism" was coined because it was "in
the air" to describe a new type of using data for journalism. There is a
strong connection to older, but essentially similar practices to inquire
into data, which in the US was done under the acronym "CAR" and went
through a few namings as well (see: Philip Meyer, Precision Journalism).

In Academia, there is a stronger need for clear definitions, but being a
journalist the best definition I ever found is the one by Adrian Holovaty
:-)

Seriously: I would argue that data-driven journalism might be a fitting
term to describe newer practices of CAR, where more data, open data, open
source and maybe even open journalism are drivers for reliable, data-based,
data-aware reporting with or without visualizations. In trainings I kind of
artificially separate three levels/types: "Data Stories", which might be
produced around one notable number or data fact, written by a trained
journalist under deadline. "Data Interactives" which are the field where
the NYT is leading, but with many examples from The Guardian, Economist,
and many others. There is a willingness in newsrooms to invest time (and
some money) into these projects, because they sometimes tell stories
better, make a point, deliver a surprising insight. The third and last
level would be a "Data App", an application, database, larger project, but
not a software per se. A good example is "Dollar for Docs" from ProPublica.
Another one "Reading the Riots" from the Guardian. Quoting NYT and Guardian
is a bit unfair as many other newsrooms produce great stuff by now in this
particular field.

Hope this not totally confuses the answer to the question, but that's my
take.

Best,
Mirko