[ddj] [Q] Difference between CAR and DJ

Ricardo Matheus ricardomatheus at gmail.com
Sun May 19 19:09:24 UTC 2013

Hello, Mirko!

I would like to know where did you find this quote:

"Seriously: I would argue that data-driven journalism might be a fitting
term to describe newer practices of CAR, where more data, open data, open
source and maybe even open journalism are drivers for reliable, data-based,
data-aware reporting with or without visualizations. In trainings I kind of
artificially separate three levels/types: "Data Stories", which might be
produced around one notable number or data fact, written by a trained
journalist under deadline. "Data Interactives" which are the field where
the NYT is leading, but with many examples from The Guardian, Economist,
and many others. There is a willingness in newsrooms to invest time (and
some money) into these projects, because they sometimes tell stories
better, make a point, deliver a surprising insight. The third and last
level would be a "Data App", an application, database, larger project, but
not a software per se. A good example is "Dollar for Docs" from ProPublica.
Another one "Reading the Riots" from the Guardian. Quoting NYT and Guardian
is a bit unfair as many other newsrooms produce great stuff by now in this
particular field. "

Kind regards,
Ricardo Matheus

On 19 May 2013 19:53, mirko.lorenz at gmail.com <mirko.lorenz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> actually, not sure whether there is such a huge difference between CAR and
> DDJ. Maybe one was the practice for the last twenty years and now grows
> into the other one as a lot of resources have changed.
>
> One way how the term "data-driven journalism" came into use: I had read an
> article by Zach Beauvais (who was then in Open/Linked Data) titled
> "Journalism Needs Data in the 21st Century" (
> http://readwrite.com/2009/08/04/journalism_needs_data_in_21st_century).
> At the time we organized a round-table with the European Journalism Centre,
> a kind of first time meeting for an new type, new group of data journalists
> in Amsterdam and where lucky because many speakers came, from Guardian,
> NYT, Times London, etc. (video here: https://vimeo.com/14800572). That
> was August 2010. Since then #ddj or data-driven journalism kind of sticks.
> But we would be hard pressed to come up with an academic justification or
> clarification.
>
> Partially the term "data-driven journalism" was coined because it was "in
> the air" to describe a new type of using data for journalism. There is a
> strong connection to older, but essentially similar practices to inquire
> into data, which in the US was done under the acronym "CAR" and went
> through a few namings as well (see: Philip Meyer, Precision Journalism).
>
> In Academia, there is a stronger need for clear definitions, but being a
> journalist the best definition I ever found is the one by Adrian Holovaty
> :-)
>
> Seriously: I would argue that data-driven journalism might be a fitting
> term to describe newer practices of CAR, where more data, open data, open
> source and maybe even open journalism are drivers for reliable, data-based,
> data-aware reporting with or without visualizations. In trainings I kind of
> artificially separate three levels/types: "Data Stories", which might be
> produced around one notable number or data fact, written by a trained
> journalist under deadline. "Data Interactives" which are the field where
> the NYT is leading, but with many examples from The Guardian, Economist,
> and many others. There is a willingness in newsrooms to invest time (and
> some money) into these projects, because they sometimes tell stories
> better, make a point, deliver a surprising insight. The third and last
> level would be a "Data App", an application, database, larger project, but
> not a software per se. A good example is "Dollar for Docs" from ProPublica.
> Another one "Reading the Riots" from the Guardian. Quoting NYT and Guardian
> is a bit unfair as many other newsrooms produce great stuff by now in this
> particular field.
>
> Hope this not totally confuses the answer to the question, but that's my
> take.
>
> Best,
> Mirko
>

> 2013/5/19 whisky CHANG <whisky at ystaiwan.org>

> [...]

Ricardo Matheus
Bachelor in Public Policy Management - EACH/USP
Master of Sciences in Administration - FEA/USP
University of São Paulo - USP
+55(11)7227-7521