[ddj] Maps/dataviz built into scrollable story-telling - examples?

Bauer Michael michael.bauer at derstandard.at
Wed Dec 17 09:28:22 UTC 2014

I've seen and liked faces of fracking:

http://www.facesoffracking.org/data-visualization/

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: data-driven-journalism [mailto:data-driven-journalism-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of Björn Schwentker
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:38 AM
To: data-driven-journalism at lists.okfn.org
Subject: [ddj] Maps/dataviz built into scrollable story-telling - examples?

Hello everybody,

I have a project where I would like to build data visualizations, especially maps, into a scrollable story-telling onepager like this:
http://www.ndr.de/Karriere,jugendknast148.html#page=0&anim=slide

I would be most thankful for any examples of similar things that have been done before.

It seems to me that especially maps inside such a scrolling environment are not very common. I wonder why and if I simply have overlooked many examples. I am not thinking of embedded maps that are fancy animated simulated camera flights or such. Rather simple things, that are presented big, i.e. as a whole page (or significant part of it) within the story: Interactive maps with location dots and info-window popups or interactive choropleth maps (be it self-made with D3, Raphael, or using other services like google, OSM, CartoDB, Mapbox...).

Thank you very much for you help!

Best,
Björn

--
Björn Schwentker, Journalist
Steindamm 105, 20099 Hamburg, Germany

fon:     +49 (0)40 - 280 958 74
fax:     +49 (0)40 - 280 958 75
mobil:   +49 (0)177 - 30 29 175
mail:    mail at bjoernschwentker.de

web:     demografie-blog.de
twitter: twitter.com/BSchwentker
foto:    schwentker-fotografie.de

PGP-Schlüssel (Public PGP Key):
data.demografie-blog.de/Bjoern_Schwentker_Public_Key_PGP.asc