[ddj] Maps/dataviz built into scrollable story-telling - examples?

Alex Salkever alex at silk.co
Wed Dec 17 17:41:23 UTC 2014

Bjorn:

We do this with Silk.co (a free tool for data journalists)  See these
examples:

ebola-outbreaks.silk.co
drone-strikes.silk.co
kickstarter-projects.silk.co/

These are scrollable but hosted on our domain.

But each map can be embedded with text blocks interspersed (or videos or
live twitter stream or other visualizations) like here:

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/18/how-much-do-coders-make-check-out-this-data-from-around-the-country/

Embedded maps are Google Maps and no geocoding is required - it recognized
plain text location data in a CSV.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Tony.Hirst <tony.hirst at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've started exploring storybuilder (http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/
> example: http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/review/970490867 )
>
> You can put an iframe into a text/html cell to embed a map (ef <iframe
> widteh="100%" height=500 src="URL_TO_MY_MAP" ></iframe>
>

> See also https://pinboard.in/u:psychemedia/t:immersiveStory/
>
> --tony
>
> -- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
> exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC
> 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by the Financial
> Conduct Authority.

Alex Salkever
Growth/BD/Data Journalism
415-503-9035