[ddj] Hacks/Hackers BA Media Party is back

Mariano Blejman marianet at he.net
Tue Jul 22 13:16:39 UTC 2014

Hi there, workshops proposals for the Media Party in Buenos Aires is open.
You can apply here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ek_j21PezpLXfWKaQVp60BLLKCoDwX5GYhoImgT-DyM/viewform>

Three awesome days of conferences, workshops, demos, networking and an
"open data" hackathon. Journalists, analysts, designers, programmers and
activists from all over the world gather to restart the media.

For the third consecutive year, returns to Buenos Aires the Hacks/Hackers
BA 2014 Media Party <http://www.mediaparty.info/>, the largest productive
gathering of media in Latin America. tIn 2014, we expect 30 experts from
the best interactive innovation projects worldwide, 50 workshops and a
media fair with more than 70 news projects. In addition, there will be
10,000 usd prize for the hackathon as part of HacksLabs
<http://hackslabs.org/> - the first accelerator journalism projects data
for Latin America, and an extra day conference to gather for four days at
the best digital ventures from four continents. The meeting will be held
from 28 to 30 August in Konex Cultural City, Buenos Aires.

This year, we will have the presence of Burt Herman (Storify and
Hacks/Hackers), 6 winners of Knight News Challenge, 6 fellows of Knight
Mozilla Open News, 5 AMI african media entrepreneurs, and the winners of
HacksLabs and Money Trail regional hackathon, plus projects sponsored by
HIVOS. Also will be pitching the three teams accelerated by Media Factory,
first startup for news program worldwide. For the first time, Media Party
join the Maker Party <https://party.webmaker.org/> network organized by
Mozilla Foundation.

The Media Party is organized by Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires, the local
chapter of a global network of media innovation. Buenos Aires chapter has
2900 members and growing. Last year 1,000 people gathered for 3 days and we
positioned ourselves as the most ambitious productive event at the south of
the Continent. In 2012 and 2013 we had the presence of media and experts
from 21 countries and 4 continents, among them The New York Times, the BBC
, Chicago Tribune , The Guardian, Spiegel Online, etc. and products like
Zeega , DocumentCloud and Sourcefabric. The 2013 edition was the largest
Hacks/Hackers meeting in the world !

According to a survey by the production team, 70 % said that the experience
of participating exceeded their expectations , 85 % felt the Media Party as
an event with a social impact and 99 % of attendees last year said he would
like to participate in 2014. This year, we aim to consolidate our position
as the innovation event in the world's largest Spanish-language media and
for this we will build a community meeting space to learn and work with the
pioneers of innovation applied to the generation of audiences, production
news, data journalism and new forms of storytelling in the digital world.

The promise is to accelerate change through creative networking activities
, improving the provision of workshops on diversity and levels, and
encourage interdisciplinary tool production and journalistic initiatives
through mentoring and incentives.

The Media Party is made ​​possible by the support of organizations like
Knight Foundation, Knight- Mozilla News Open, Mozilla Foundation,
International Center for Journalism, World Bank Institute, etc, and a
network of over 60 volunteers. To learn more about the HHBA Media Party, we
invite you to see the official video of the 2013
<http://www.mediaparty.info/>edition and visit the event website. To
register for Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires
<http://www.meetup.com/HacksHackersBA/> click here .

Burt Herman <http://lanyrd.com/profile/burtherman/>

Entrepreneurial journalist finding meaning in the noise. Co-founder of
Storify, Hacks/Hackers for journalists and technologists.

Dan Sinker <http://lanyrd.com/profile/dansinker/>

Heading up the Knight-Mozilla OpenNews project, author of @MayorEmanuel,
founder of Punk Planet magazine

Mark Boas <http://lanyrd.com/profile/maboa/>

Web App Developer specializing in Front-end, JS, Real-time Web and HTML5
esp. audio/video. jPlayer dev. Hyperaudio. Open Web & Knight-Mozilla Open
News Fellow.

Douglas Arellanes <http://lanyrd.com/profile/dougiegyro/>

Sourcefabric co-founder and director of innovation, tech activist, expat
American, CZ-EN translator, DJ on @radio1prague.

Jeanne Brooks <http://lanyrd.com/profile/jmfbrooks/>

Co-Founder/Director @NewsDisruptors, audience and engagement @WNYC's
#sleepdata http://wnyc.org/sleep, @techladymafia Hacks/Hackers director

David Lemayian <http://lanyrd.com/profile/davidlemayian/>

Creative geek with a passion for innovation. #OpenData #OpenInnovation
@Code4Africa

Miguel Paz <http://lanyrd.com/profile/miguelpaz/>

Nieman-Berkman Fellow 2014-2015. Founder & CEO @Poderomedia @Poderopedia
#PAcademy. Former @ICFJKnight Fellow, Knight News Challenge @StartupChile
@ElMostrador

Ben Chartoff <http://lanyrd.com/profile/benchartoff/>

Data and data visualization stories. 2014 @opennews fellow at
@washingtonpost

Gabriela Rodríguez <http://lanyrd.com/profile/gaba/>

Software Developer. Co-founder at http://datauy.org . Open News Fellow 2014
at La Nacion. Sarcasm is a trait from my family and I can't avoid it

Aure Moser <http://lanyrd.com/profile/auremoser/>

Archivist/Analyst/Algorist/Activist 2014 Knight-Mozilla Fellow: Ushahidi +
Internews-KE Girl Develop It-NYC

Brian T. Jacobs <http://lanyrd.com/profile/btjakes/>

Designer, developer, solid state survivor. Knight-Mozilla Fellow at
ProPublica

Hαrlo Holmes <http://lanyrd.com/profile/harlo/>

web & mobile dev who codes for good. head of metadata at @guardianproject /
New York Times

Justin Arenstein <http://lanyrd.com/profile/justinarenstein/>

African-based media strategist & start-up junky, consulting for Google &
ICFJ on investigative + data journalism, mobile reporting, & media
sustainability

Adi Eyal <http://lanyrd.com/profile/soapsudtycoon/>

Data geek with an interest in changing the way that organisations use data
to make decisions.

Marcos Vanetta <http://lanyrd.com/profile/malev/>

Software engineer. Hacker at http://mapa76.info and member of
@Hacks/HackersBA. Knight Mozilla Fellow 2014 at the TexasTribune. Living in
ATX

Friedrich Lindenberg <http://lanyrd.com/profile/pudo/>

OpenGov and data journalism geek; working with @codeforafrica @icfjknight
@okfde

Erika Owens <http://lanyrd.com/profile/erika_owens/>

Community manager @opennews, ex- at PSNotebook. likes: open source,
journalism, education, feminism, social justice, music, overanalysis, and
uproarious laughter.

Mariano Blejman <http://lanyrd.com/profile/blejman/>

Knight Fellow for ICFJ. @Mediafactory_vc manager. @HacksHackersBA runner.
Editor-in-hack at @analiceme. Former editor in Página/12.
http://marianoblejman.com

El Cambur <http://lanyrd.com/profile/camburymedio/>

El medio del centro. Más que un medio, una comunidad que apuesta por la
pluralidad, diversidad y democracia en #Venezuela. #BuscaTuCentro

El Meme <http://lanyrd.com/profile/elmeme_me/>

Entretenete

GkillCity.com <http://lanyrd.com/profile/gkillcitycom/>

Esto no es periodismo profesional.

--
-
Mariano Blejman - Knight International Journalism Fellow
mblejman at knight.icfj.org
http://www.icfj.org/our-work/argentina-launch-innovation-challenge-promote-development-digital-media-latin-america
Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires
marianet at he.net