[ddj] StoryBuilder, a new tool for creating NYT-like scrolling stories

Scott Hannaford scott.hannaford at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Sat May 17 00:10:26 UTC 2014

I've just used this tool to present an investigation I've written on a
missing hiker for our paper. You can see the results here:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/prabhdeepsrawn
While the tool obviously still has some limitations, I'd like to extend a
huge thanks to the Jumpstart crew for making this available, and encourage
anyone considering it to check out StoryBuilder - great work like theirs
that helps us all should be encouraged and supported.
Scott

*Scott Hannaford *canberratimes.com.au | Sunday editor

*a:* 9 Pirie St Fyshwick, ACT 2609 *t:* 02 6280 2209
*m*: 0417 272 498 *e*: scott.hannaford at fairfaxmedia.com.au
*Download The Canberra Times iPad App. It's free for a limited time
<http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/the-canberra-times-for-ipad/id556773192?mt=8>*

<http://google.com/+canberratimes>    *
<http://instagram.com/canberratimes>  **
<http://www.facebook.com/canberratimes>
<https://twitter.com/shannaford>*

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM, ericnbarrett at gmail.com <
ericnbarrett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I know this doesn't technically fall into the real of data journalism, but
> once you are ready to tell the story, it might come in handy.
>
> We at JumpStart Georgia wanted to do similar mixed-media scrolling stories
> like the NYTimes<http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/10/27/south-china-sea/>does. We are trying hard to inspire creativity and diversity in the ways
> Georgians tell stories, especially local activists, journalists, and NGOs.
> We initially built this for us and our stories, but decided it would be way
> cool for others to be able to create these types of mixed-media stories
> too. Not everyone can use D3 <http://d3js.org/> and code a story like
> this.
>
> The tool, http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/,  is mainly only
> functional (see the Demo<http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/storyteller/2>),
> but needs, of course, a lot more user interface design. However, it already
> works and people can start using it. Some cool features:
>
>    - you build the story in sections and can rearrange them once you have
>    created them
>    - you can choose whether each section will be text or some type of
>    media
>    - you can audio to each section
>    - currently, the media we have is screen-size photo and video, but we
>    will add a slideshow soon and then others (maybe interactive choropleth
>    map, simple charts, ...)
>    - the media can have captions and sub-captions
>    - you can host your scrolling story on the site itself;
>    - you can export, as a zipped file, all the files once you build it,
>    and host them on any server you want;
>    - you can download the entire app for use in your organization (the
>    github link is in the top-right corner - it is a Ruby-on-Rails app)
>    - we have started adding templates to it;
>

> Obviously, we still have a lot to do (well, sky's the limit) , but slowly
> we will build this up and add new features. Let us know what you think and
> if you have any ideas that might make it useful for you, we'd love to hear
> them.
>
> http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/
>
> Eric

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the
written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in
error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone
and delete all copies. Fairfax Media does not guarantee the accuracy or
completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files.
Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax Media does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached
files.