[ddj] Geopandas bounds

Lilly Schwarz lillyschwarzathome at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:23:47 UTC 2014

Hello list,

Can anyone point me toward a geopandas code example showing how to pull a
shape in from a KML or SHP file, then check to see whether a point is
within that shape's borders? i believe this might involve using within() or
contains(), but I'm open to other options.

I know there are GeoDjango tools for this, but I am hoping to avoid that
route, since setting up the whole GeoDjango stack for it has always been a
painful process, full of old documentation, screwy dependencies and
pointless changes of package names between Linux flavors. If geopandas can
allow me to get around this obstacle easily with a simple "pip install"
line and no further fussing, I'd strongly prefer to lean in that direction.

Best,

Lilly