[ddj] The Great Rip Off - Anonymous Companies Interactive Map

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Wed Oct 8 11:51:46 UTC 2014

Anonymous company ownership is behind much of what is bad in the world.
It’s behind the tax dodgers who don’t pay their fair share towards society.
It’s behind the dishonest public officials who use their positions for
personal gain and the corrupt multinationals that bribe their way into a
job. It’s behind the people traffickers who condemn people to lives of
modern-day slavery.

Global Witness <http://globalwitness.org> have been campaigning on this
issue for some years and is now excited to announce the publication of a
new interactive map and online database that allows users to explore this
global problem:

http://bit.ly/10OEYt2

The map currently holds 56 stories on the activities of anonymous companies
in countries across the world. It shows how this is a global problem with
victims everywhere, but with the perpetrating companies concentrated in
secrecy jurisdictions where it's easy to setup without stating who is
behind it.

It was developed by J++ <http://www.jplusplus.org/en/> using Leaflet.js
<http://leaflet.js/> for the visualisation and their open source CMS
Detective.io <http://detective.io/> to build the database.

​

We invite all those campaigning on this issue to contribute stories of how
anonymous companies have affected communities across the world so that they
too can be integrated into the map. If you're interested in doing so, email
greatripoff at globalwitness.org with your stories.

For those who want to share this, here is a Tweet you might want to use:

"New interactive map shows crimes anonymous company owners are getting away
with worldwide bit.ly/ripoffmap pic.twitter.com/SYns1qW0A0"

We're keen to collate feedback anyone has on the map so that we can
continue to improve it - so let me know if you have any thoughts or indeed
file a Github issue <https://github.com/jplusplus/gw-greatripoffmap>.

Sam
--

*Sam LeonSchool of Data Fellow | skype: samedleon  |  @Noel_Mas