[ddj] Good resource for combining data in Excel or Spreadsheets?

Wendell Cochran wendell.cochran at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:05:12 UTC 2014

If it is a simple matter of adding a table or list of data that is
identical in form and structure, I would simply copy the contents of one
csv file (or Excel worksheet) and tag it on to the end of the first file
(and then rename it something so I kept the first file). In other words,
cut and paste. Think of this as a "vertical join."

It is much more involved if you are trying to add new data in one file to
data in another (a "horizontal join.") For example, say you want to add the
spelled out name of states to a file that has state abbreviations. In that
case, I would use whatever database program you like (or know).

Wendell