[data-protocols] Looking inside tables

Xavier Badosa xbadosa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 20:32:45 BST 2013

Very interesting.

The idea is to provide a mechanism to map CSV or HTML tables into semantic
> vocabularies

I'm not sure CSV and HTML tables can be considered together.

This proposal seems to seek a similar goal as the StatisticalTable schema

http://json-stat.org/schema/

The StatisticalTable schema, though, focuses on a specific type of table
(the statistical table, where the cell content is a measure). Both try to
avoid redundancy and verbosity assigning properties directly to columns.
The StatisticalTable schema allows assigning such properties also to rows.
This seems natural in the case of HTML tables (and presentation tables in
general, where choosing between rows or columns seems a layout decision).
On the other hand, considering columns different than rows is the CSV (or
the relational databases) approach.

In summary, the proposal probably provides a mechanism to map CSV tables,
but, if I understand it correctly, many existing HTML tables on the web
won't be able to benefit from such enriched markup.

Am I right?

X.