[data-protocols] Looking inside tables

Omar Benjelloun benjello at google.com
Fri Aug 16 22:37:22 BST 2013

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you that the Look Inside proposal
tries to address more general tables, not just statistical tables, and
shares with Json-Stat the goal of simplicity.

You're also right that this approach doesn't work for many tables on the
Web (and CSVs for that matter). This trade-off is what allows the language
to remain simple.

I believe "exotic" tables can be addressed by creating ETL/ transformation
scripts to normalize them, and ideally open sourcing these transformation
scripts and publishing them in repositories like github.org/datasets.

I think an important aspect of this proposal is to use vocabularies like
schema.org or other RDF vocabularies to define the schema / semantics of
the data. This should help make datasets more interoperable, and
discoverable, which should increase their usefulness.

Cheers,
-Omar