[datahub-discuss] Dataset names

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Dec 8 14:13:13 UTC 2013

Aside: I'm feeling we should move these discussions off mailing list to
http://help.datahub.io/ ...

On 6 December 2013 18:14, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Are dataset names unique across the whole of CKAN space. For example Gold
> prices is "gold", while my single dataset is currently
> "species-in-articles-from-biomedcentral". If I am going to be uploading 50
> datasets a day I can easily disambiguate

Yes, that's the approach CKAN takes at the moment. Perhaps one day there
should be some kind of organization prefixing but that's not on the horizon
right now.

> them for my own purposes, but I'd like to use a pseudo namespace/URI
> scheme, e.g. with my OKF handle as prefix:
>
> "petermr:pone:doi:10.1186/1471-2334-11-262"

I think you might want a bit terser? What about prefixing with your org
name (november-25) e.g.

november-25-doi-10.1186-1471

In general shortish, meaningful paths for datasets is a "good thing" (tm)

Is that syntactically allowed? Is it a good idea?

A dataset "title" can have anything in it. The "name" (aka slug) can only
have alphanumeric + ".-_".

Rufus

> P.
>

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> University of Cambridge
> CB2 1EW, UK
> +44-1223-763069

*Rufus PollockFounder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>The Open Knowledge
Foundation <http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open
Knowledgehttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on Facebook