[datahub-discuss] A lot of spam on the datahub.io

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Oct 8 11:58:40 UTC 2013

Hi Ivan,

Please see this recent posts:

<http://blog.datahub.io/2013/09/30/tackling-spam-on-the-datahub/>

and

<http://blog.datahub.io/2013/10/08/organizations-upgrade/>

We're just in the process of launching a serious attack on the spam issue
and would welcome your help!

Rufus

On 8 October 2013 12:51, Ivan Ermilov <iermilov at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>wrote:

>  Hi everybody,
>
> I will introduce myself first. I am a PhD student at AKSW research group
> (university of Leipzig) and I work on LODStats (http://stats.lod2.eu) and
> CSV2RDF (http://wiki.publicdata.eu or http://csv2rdf.aksw.org) for
> PublicData.eu (which is CKAN) projects.
>
> The LODStats project uses datahub.io as a main source for the RDF data.
> And I just realized today, that there are a lot of spam packages published.
> It does not really matter for my app (because I access CKAN
> programmatically), but if there are a lot of spam messages, normal users,
> who publish and search packages through the web interface will have
> problems finding them. Some even can stop use datahub.io because of this
> problems.
>
> Therefore, my questions are:
> 1. Is there access control mechanism (plugin) for CKAN?
> 2. Can we ban those spammers by IP address?
> 3. Other means to fight spam attacks?
> 4. Who is responsible for maintaining datahub.io (admin tasks, like
> fighting bots and other work considered boring in academic field -)) and
> if there is no enough (wo)menforce, how can I get involved?
>
> Kind regards,
> Ivan Ermilov.

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|