[datahub-discuss] Datahubio outdated datasets

Timothy Lebo lebot at rpi.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:54:22 UTC 2014

Richard, Ivan.

Looks like we all have different perspectives :-)

I’d rather spend time on the datasets that *are* alive versus those that have died.
So, I’m indifferent. Delete away!

As far as VoID from CKAN, there’s:
https://github.com/timrdf/DataFAQs/blob/master/services/sadi/ckan/lift-ckan.py
and I’m already collecting VoID snapshots, but I’m downstream from source.

Best,
Tim

On Aug 19, 2014, at 5:19 AM, Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> wrote:

> Tim,
>
>> On 18 Aug 2014, at 17:06, Timothy Lebo <lebot at rpi.edu> wrote:
>> Is it appropriate to *delete* these?
>
> In my eyes, yes, deletion is appropriate.
>
>> Perhaps just tag and remove from groups as appropriate?
>
> That will still make them show up in searches on the Datahub. Users would have no idea that the record exists just for historic reasons. A special tag or group is essentially invisible to users, except to the three or four experts who know to look for it.
>
>> It would be nice to have some historical perspective on outdated LOD datasets.
>
> I agree.
>
> There are many ways of achieving this goal. For example, save periodic snapshots of the CKAN API results for a dataset search over the lod/lodcloud groups.
>
> We have some dusty code somewhere that can convert the CKAN JSON to VoID, so it would be possible to create historical VoID views onto the Datahub metadata.
>
> Are there any volunteers willing to work on something like that?
>
> Best,
> Richard

Timothy Lebo
lebot at rpi.edu