[datahub-discuss] Merging {br, cz, ie, it, no}.ckan.net into datahub.io and shutting them down

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 28 08:01:54 UTC 2014

First off: Ross, this is awesome - thank-you so much!

On 27 November 2014 at 21:05, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Rufus,
>
> I've migrated {cz,ie,it,no}.ckan.net to datahub.io. I’ve labelled the
> organizations cz-ckan-net, it-ckan-net, ie-ckan-net and no-ckan-net.
>
> If anybody was feeling generous with their time for 20 minutes or so I
> guess they could all do with renaming, a description and with pretty
> pictures.  I manually deleted a handful of junk datasets and cz-ckan-net is
> just finishing off, but I need to step away from the computer for a while.
> It’s been the most problematic but I think it should be fine.

@richard (cyganiak): would you be up for this by any chance? Any other
takers?

> Before turning off *.ckan.net, would it be possible to get maintainers
> for the new datahub.io organisations, and also a backup of the database
> just to make sure if something is missing (it doesn’t appear there is so
> far) that they can be recovered.

I'll definitely ask Open Knowledge sysadmins to take backups before turning
anything off.

> I did it with a slightly customised version of
> https://gist.github.com/rossjones/fed1cb99b55c2b19a13e (I should have
> read Augusto’s emails properly, I didn’t realise he had already done this).
>

> Is there anything else that needs migrating from a ckan somewhere to
> datahub.io? Perhaps we should set up the harvester for some larger sites,
> just to act as an archive for those datasets that occasionally go missing?

I don't know of anything right now but could I suggest we document this
idea plus the links to the gists etc on a new wiki page here:

http://wiki.okfn.org/DataHub

Rufus

> Ross.
>
> p.s. As an aside, my script found 45 datasets on br.ckan.net, and I
> managed to import http://datahub.io/dataset/cambio - would you like me to
> run my script on br.ckan.net and see if we can find anything that doesn’t
> appear to have been indexed by solr on br.ckan.net?
>

> On 27 Nov 2014, at 20:10, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Rufus,
>
> On 14 Nov 2014, at 19:55, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>
> I also note we still need to migrate:
>
> {cz,ie,it,no}.ckan.net
>

> Are these all OKF chapters?  I’ve got a similar script for migrating, I
> could create the orgs from them and we could just rename them afterwards if
> you like.
>
> Ross.

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.