[drn-discuss] Creative Archive Licence Group Launch

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Apr 14 02:12:28 PDT 2005

Also posted at: http://www.okfn.org/drn/

Regards,

Rufus

Today I had the privilege of attending the launch event for the Creative
Archive Licence Group. I admit the name is a bit of a mouthful and
that's because now it isn't just the BBC, but Channel 4, the British
Film Institute and the Open University as well. The glue binding these
together isn't yet a formal organization of any kind but a commitment to
use the BBC drafted Creative Archive licence (unfortunately in the end
the BBC didn't feel able to sign on to a Creative Commons licence for a
variety of reasons). Of course the licence is just a means to an end --
the real purpose of the whole endeavour is to actually start making
material available.

And on this score the news isn't quite as positive as one would like.
The only group to actually make material available on the launch day
were the BFI who are putting a variety of things from their archive
online at http://www.bfi.org.uk/creative/. The Open University also plan
to launch something soon but the BBC could only commit to rolling out up
to a maximum of 100 hours of footage over the next 18 months (the length
of the (BBC's) Creative Archive's trial period). Apparently the footage
will mainly be from the factual collection (nature and history
programmes) and the first chunk should be up in the next 1-4 months.
(Channel 4 have very little in terms of material to offer as they make
practically nothing, instead commissioning nearly all of their content
-- but they do plan to expand their highly successful pix-n-mix vjing
programme).

Why so little, so slowly you might ask? The reason is simple and it's an
issue that hangs over all the participants in the Licence Group: rights
clearance. In a nutshell the BBC (and everyone else) don't actually
own/control outright most of their content in their archives -- often
they just had the right to broadcast it a couple of times -- and putting
it up online requires clearing rights with all kinds of groups and
individuals. As you can imagine this is a very time consuming process
(ironically the costs of the identification and negotiation parts of its
often dwarf the actual payments for the permissions). Many of these
groups, particularly the more aggressive rights-holder organizations,
are none too keen to have their work, as they see it, given away for
free. Thus the BBC is restricted, at least initially, to programming
that they control and/or they can clear rights in easily (they also have
to be careful not to tread on the toes of any other part of the Beeb
especially the commercial arm, BBC Worldwide).

This brings me to a very important point: if we want to see the Archive
succeed and grow we've got to do two crucial things:

   *One: Ask for more stuff.* And do it loudly and clearly (but politely
of course). The Creative Archive has a feedback form and the BBC has
made it very clear they will be paying a lot of attention to what gets
put in there (one thing I'd really like to see is for them to drop the
UK-only restriction. Not only will just 'criminalize' the inevitable
overseas usage but if we want the Creative Archive to really benefit us,
the British Public, we need as many people as possible have access to it).

   *Two: Use it.* Because if the Archive isn't used and, more
importantly, isn't re-used then it's going to be really hard for the BBC
and others to justify putting money into it (and as already explained
making this is quite a costly exercise -- quite apart from bandwidth
...). One final point on this item: apparently the BBC doesn't have
anywhere to put up the work produced from the Creative Archive material
so I would like to suggest either posting on
http://www.remixreading.org/ or, failing that, to at least post a notice
to myself at Friends of the Creative Domain (fcd-info [at] okfn.org) and
I'll put it up on the FCD wiki.