[drn-discuss] Musings on an open knowledge movement

Dave Green dave at davegreen.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 10:21:47 PDT 2005

At 16:57 02/06/05 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>First off a big thank you for producing such a coherent and
>comprehensive analysis. There had been some discussion of similar issues
>back in February after the first Copyfighters event (I've just posted a
>long email i wrote during that discussion here:
>http://www.okfn.org/drn/node/57) but that thread never resolved on a
>plan of action. There's also the OKFN governance document that lays out
>a formal structure quite similar to what you suggest:
>
>   http://www.okfn.org/governance.html

just btw, we're hoping to have a bit of a workshop/ session on "Why Isn't
There A UK EFF (Or Equivalent)" at the (catchily named :)
backstage.bbc.co.uk Open Tech 2005 event in London Sat July 23rd

http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2005/

- Rufus (and Tom!) are you planning on coming along and if so would you
like to be part of this session?

also, in the unlikely (but possible!) event anyone on here hasn't already
been invited, Bill Thompson's having a (primarily social) get-together on
the Cam, this Sunday June 5th, meeting at the Mill public house on Mill
Lane between 1200 and 1230:

http://www.andfinally.com/geek.html

and "finally", is anyone else (ie other than me) keeping tabs on this lot?

http://opencongress.omweb.org/

Welcome to the Open Congress website

We are a group of artists, researchers and academics who are working
towards.............

An Open Congress that seeks to understand how methodologies derived from
Free/Libre and Open Source Software [FLOSS] production can be deployed by
those working in the area of art, visual culture and cultural production in
general

•The Open Congress aims to explore how FLOSS inspired practices challenge
the ruling paradigms of cultural production and knowledge; particularly
conventional practices of authorship, ownership and distribution.

• We aim to address these questions through an innovative form of
‘congress’ - which will itself will be ‘open source’ in its form and
structure...........

• The Open Congress will be held at Tate Britain, Millbank London on the
7th and 8th October 2005