[drn-discuss] New Statesman- Art and creativity

Michelle Childs michelle.childs at cptech.org
Wed Oct 12 11:59:57 CDT 2005

This maybe unhelpful as you are dicussing how to do it but here's a link
you may want to add ( if you haven't already seen it)
Michelle

How the industry needs a copyright Tsar and more:Art and creativity

http://www.newstatesman.com/Arts/200510100058

> Andrea Rota wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 03:19:16PM +0100, James Heald wrote:
>> [...]
>>>A blog is all very well, but I think that there are some real
advantages
>>>to providing a page like Swpatcnino, which can aim to be pretty
comprehensive in terms of links, but limited to just a one-line summary
for each item.
>> [...]
>>>* the bar is much lower for people adding stories, if they can just put
up the link, and don't need to add any commentary.  (Though they could
write and link one if they want).
>>>* it's useful to be able to scan through just the headlines, as a short
index -- much easier than scanning down a whole blog; and easier to
find
>>>or spot new items.
>>>So hence my suggestion, for someting much more like
>>>http://wiki.ffii.org/SwpatcninoEn   and much less like a blog.
>> Easiest way to do this would be: whoever wants to contribute adds an
entry to her/his own de.lirio.us bookmarks list, with a special tag
(e.g. "drn.press") and then the RSS feeds with this tag are aggregated
on http://drn.okfn.org/.
>> The news aggregator is already there, and adding feeds can be done by
any contributor.
>> Lightweight, easy and distributed - does it make sense?!
>
> The alterantive, which is perhaps even more entry-level, and FFII has
found works well, is just to have a wiki page that people add a line to
the top to, whenever they want to add a link to a story.

> As well as being very straightforward, for anybody with write-access to
the page to be able to do, it also has the advantage that you directly
control what the listing looks like; it makes it easy for people to add
follow-up links, eg to comment blogs, or say wiki pages tracking
particular issues; it is easy to correct mistakes; and it's also very
easy to remove entries which aren't really on topic.

> It's a bit more low-tech, because it means the aggregation is being done
manually; but in practice, it's no great inconvenience - it only takes a
moment to add a line to a wiki.

Michelle Childs -Head of European Affairs
Consumer Project on Technology in London
24, Highbury Crescent, London, N5 1RX,UK.
Tel:+44(0)207 226 6663 ex 252.
Mob:+44(0)790 386 4642. Fax: +44(0)207 354 0607
http://www.cptech.org

Consumer Project on Technology in Washington, DC
PO Box 19367, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Tel.:  1.202.387.8030, fax: 1.202.234.5176

Consumer Project on Technology in Geneva
1 Route des  Morillons, CP 2100, 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 791 6727